Hnefatafl ˈne-fə-taː-f(ə)l roughly translated as “The Kings Table”is a Viking game, popular since 400AD. A simple yet addictive strategy game, it harks back to a time of feuding Viking lords and violent invasions.
This quality Hnefatafl set contains 37 detailed resin playing pieces (1 king, 12 defenders and 24 attackers) and a natural linen playing board. The defending pieces are in an ivory colour while the attackers a wooden brown.
Unleash your inner Viking war chief and put your combat skills to the test with a game that's most definitely stood the test of time.
Like this product?
Check out more of our board games and accessories, other Gothic, historic and fantasy inspired gift ideas or more Viking loot.
How to play?
- The attacking player wins by capturing the king.
- The defending player wins by safely bringing their king to one of the four corners.
- Attackers move first and then play alternates between each player.
- Pieces move horizontally and vertically but cannot jump another piece.
- The king is caputred when he is surrounded and all 4 adjacent squares are occupied by an attacker.
- All other pieces may be captured by being horizontally or vertically sandwiched between two opposing pieces, or between an opposing piece and a refuge square.
- If you're clever you can capture more than one piece at a time!
- 1 x Hnefatafl the Viking boardgame.
- Storage box, 37 playing pieces and a roll-up board and rule book.
- Dimensions: Approx 29 x 29 cm (board), 3cm (playing pieces).
- Instructions in English, French, German and Japanese.
- 2 players.