Hnefatafl ˈne-fə-taː-f(ə)l roughly translated as “The Kings Table”is a Viking game, popular since 400AD. A simple yet addictive strategy game, it harks back to a time of feuding Viking lords and violent invasions.
This quality Hnefatafl set contains 37 detailed resin playing pieces (1 king, 12 defenders and 24 attackers) and a natural linen playing board. The defending pieces are in an ivory colour while the attackers a wooden brown.
Unleash your inner Viking war chief and put your combat skills to the test with a game that's most definitely stood the test of time.
How to play?
- The attacking player wins by capturing the king.
- The defending player wins by safely bringing their king to one of the four corners.
- Attackers move first and then play alternates between each player.
- Pieces move horizontally and vertically but cannot jump another piece.
- The king is caputred when he is surrounded and all 4 adjacent squares are occupied by an attacker.
- All other pieces may be captured by being horizontally or vertically sandwiched between two opposing pieces, or between an opposing piece and a refuge square.
- If you're clever you can capture more than one piece at a time!
- 1 x Hnefatafl the Viking boardgame.
- Storage box, 37 playing pieces and a roll-up board and rule book.
- Dimensions: Approx 29 x 29 cm (board), 3cm (playing pieces).
- Instructions in English, French, German and Japanese.
- 2 players.